Re: Shocks. (and FAQ)

To: "Paul A Asgeirsson" <pasgeirsson@juno.com>, <endicott@nashville.com>
Subject: Re: Shocks. (and FAQ)
From: "Mike Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 09:41:05 -0700
Cc: <Andrew.Griffith@ReadRite.com>, <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
This is one of those re-occurring questions. I think we should have a
spridget
FAQ.

I volunteer to collate and maintain it.

I can cope with many of the issues *but* I know NOTHING about the rubber
bumper midgets. It is the only model I don't own! So I'll need help there.

If you have any suggestions for questions that should be answered in the
FAQ, just send me the question(s) in an email message with the subject

"FAQ Question"

I will ask you or the whole list to provide an answer to that question if
it is beyond my level of expertise.

Now to the shock oil question.

A couple of years ago, I did a lot of chasing around to find the answer
to this question. Here is the summary:

- don't use engine oil, it will foam and multi-weight is not what you really
want anyhow (you want a stable viscosity over a range of operating
temperatures)

- Lever arm damper oil is available from Penrite. For all intensive
purposes it is identical to 20wt motorcycle fork oil and Auto Transmission
Fluid. All three have the same additives (anti foam especially).

- While you can vary the weight of the oil (i.e. 30 or 40 wt fork oil), you
may do internal damage to the lever arm. The correct way to increase
the damping is to revalve the shock. Peter at World Wide Imports (who
has mighty fine rebuilt shocks BTW) explained this a while ago.

- If your shocks are worn, they certainly won't put up with the heavier
weight oil.

Having said this I have used both 30 and 40 wt oils in my race car's
lever arm shocks, but this is only for smooth race track surfaces. What
I am controlling with the heavier oil is *not* bump damping, but rather
transient roll (i.e. the  sharp roll induced by turn in). On a bumpy road
the oil would be way to heavy.

For my road/rally car I am using Peter's re-valved and rebuilt lever arms.
I had previously used 30 wt oil in this car. I am much happier with the
20wt oil and the revalve!

Mike