Re: Octane ratings

To: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Subject: Re: Octane ratings
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 01:25:08 -0400
Cc: AHSprite78@aol.com, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
On Thu, 22 Oct 1998 AHSprite78@aol.com wrote:
> As my 2 year restoration comes to an end I was leafing through one of the many
> manuals that I have and noticed that they recomended the use of 100+ octane
> gas in performance engines and 94 octane for normal engines.  What does
> everyone on the list run?  Is the manual correct?

  I have three MGs and a rice rocket.

  The rice rocket, and the 70 MGB work fine on cheap 87
octane gas.

  The 75 Midget requires high octane gasoline, or else
it runs on a little. Just enough to ruin the appeal
of driving up in a sharp little roadster.

  "Hey mister nice car, wait a sec, DUCK IT'S GONNA
BLOW!"

   (verdict is still out on the Magnette, need more miles)

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca