Head & manifold removal, 77 Midget

To: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>, "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Head & manifold removal, 77 Midget
From: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 23:11:06 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
This should be a simple task.  I need to get the head off my
77 Midget.  I have several shop manuals and one says to leave
the manifolds on, and one says to remove them.  Here is what I
did.

        1. removed the rocker arm.
        2. removed the radiator, shroud, and water pump.
        3. removed the coolant overflow (needed the room).
        4. removed the bolts holding the catalytic converter to the exhaust
                manifold.
        5. removed the carb.
        6. removed all 10 head bolts.  Of course some nuts came off and
                some studs came out.

Now I gave the head a good tug.  That sucker is so tight I cannot get it
to budge.  So I now decide it might come off easier if I remove the intake
and exhaust manifold.  So I remove all the nuts and bolt hold them on.
There
appears to be 2 nuts below the intake manifold and above the exhaust
manifold
by cylinders 2 and 3.  I cannot figure out how to get a wrench on these.

So now I am stuck with a head I cannot get off, and a set of manifolds that
I cannot unbolt.  Any ideas on what I should try before I apply some
extreme
force.  I figure there is a better way, but I just don't know what it may
be.
I figure that with all the years experience on this list someone has done
this before with better results.  Thanks for any suggests.

Bill Gilroy
77 Midget
wmgilroy@lucent.com

PS.  I used PB Blaster on my rusty manifold and exhaust bolts with great
success.  I sprayed them last monday and Wednesday, and when I removed
them.
They came off without a fight.  Maybe it was luck, but I am a believer.
YMMV.