Wheel Noise

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Wheel Noise
From: richard.arnold@juno.com (Richard D. Arnold)
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 06:28:43 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
All:

I am picking up a chattering noise from Miss Molly's ('79 Midget 1500)
left rear wheel when applying the brakes.  This doesn't occur under a
light braking, but rather only under heavier pressure.  No grinding
noise, just a rather rhythmic castanet-like sound.  The pedal is also
less firm, and can not be 'pumped up.'  I see no signs of fluid leakage.

I picked up a set of rear brake shoes a few weeks for one of my winter
projects (lifetime guarantee, Parts America, $18.00), but hadn't
installed them before this problem made itself known; thus, I haven't
pulled the wheel and inspected the brakes yet.

Should I be anticipating anything more than replacing the shoes (and, of
course, adjusting them)?

Rich

'74.5 MGB "Jane Doe" (until a suitable name appears)
'79 MG Midget "Miss Molly"
'78 Chevy Half-Ton "Waltzin' Matilda" (LBC Support Vehicle)

"It is wise to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties."
James Madison ca. 1791