Re: steering column

To: Steve Hombach <shombach@ee.net>, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: steering column
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 21:16:29 -0500 (EST)
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
By fore and aft, what do you mean? Up and down (perpendicular to the
steering column) would probably mean that your column bushes are old and
dried and may have fallen out. Not that serious, but should be replaced and
new ones oil-soaked. If you mean instead that the motion is in and out,
that is, in parallel to the steering column, this is very bad. The column
is pulling off of the pin at the pinion. You could lose steering control.
Check that the cinch-down bold at the pinion end of the column is in place
with a nut cinched down on it.

>59 bugeye - steering column has about 1/4" of fore-and-aft play - the wheel
>is on tight and the outer shaft does not move.  Do I have a problem?
>What's the cure?  Thanks in advance.
>
>Steve
>AN526696
>"Myra"

Jeff Boatright    __o_\__           '65 Austin-Healey Sprite
http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~jboatri/sprite/sprite.html