Re: steering column

To: "SPRIDGETS" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: steering column
From: "Mostyn" <mostyn_f@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 20:54:17 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Steve wrote:

>>59 bugeye - steering column has about 1/4" of fore-and-aft play - the
wheel
>>is on tight and the outer shaft does not move.  Do I have a problem?
>>What's the cure?  Thanks in advance.
>>
>>Steve
>>AN526696
>>"Myra"

I had a similar problem if yours goes in and out....
Have you taken the rack out of the car or the pinion assembly apart for any
reason?  If so, there is a metal spacer in the assembly with a tapered edge
and if it is not installed correctly the steering wheel will move in and out
about  a half an inch.

Good luck if you did this because the only way you really can tell if it is
in right is to take another one apart slowly.  The explosion in the manual
is not very clear about how it goes together.

Hope this helps

Mostyn
AN5L/8625