RE: Autox Sprite Handling Questions (actually driving technique)

To: "Mike Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>, <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Autox Sprite Handling Questions (actually driving technique)
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 08:45:56 -0600
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Mike,

I refer to yours (and my) driving style as "point and shoot".

Those who've seen my car know I currently have it set up pretty tail happy,
but I've used this technique while driving other people's race Sprites, and
without exception have bettered their best lap times.

There are a couple of keys to this style. You must brake much, much later
than most feel safe doing. To do so requires utmost confidence in your
brakes... as we've outlined in our set ups in some recent threads. That
confidence is based on a number of factors... hydraulics, pads and shoes,
bias, and tires. Correct tire pressures contribute greatly to the confidence
factor in hauling the car down.

This driving style also resulted in greatly reduced lap times when I began
running Hoosier Street TDs, which are a bias ply tire (A70 13s). Where as a
radial gives you a very "grippy" feeling right up to the point where
traction goes away and you swap ends, the bias ply Hoosier scares the ship
out of you at first as they feel like they're never going to hook up. But,
they do hook up, quite well. The early slip requires different turn in
points. The apex remains the same, but you have to learn to anticipate the
slip, and turn in earlier.

With a small bore car (especially those of us "man enough" to race 948s),
the most important lesson to learn is the "conservation of momentum". That's
why a well driven Sprite can take most guys by braking late coming in to a
corner, and by powering on early, can have a superior exit speed, which is
the ultimate goal. I'm not likely to pass anyone on the straightaway.

So, in conclusion, haul ass as long as you can, well past the point where
the "pucker factor" has "sprained your sphincter", tromp on the brakes in a
straight line, get off them quickly, and power on early.

WST
Flounder
Team Thicko