Hmmmm....

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Hmmmm....
From: richard.arnold@juno.com (Richard D. Arnold)
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 00:27:13 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
>The cry of "personal responsibility" is used by
>every Liberal to hide their desire for personal
>power.  Of course, to ensure that personal responsibility
>we must legislate and tax.  Helmet laws, smoking
>laws, seatbelt laws, carseat laws, speed limits.

Kinda mixing our political philosophies here, aren't we?  If a party
legislates responsibility, it removes the choice to exercise it from the
individual; the opposite is when a party mandates personal responsibility
in lieu of government intervention.

The last time I read the Constitution ((c) 1791, all right reserved), the
preamble still contained the words "... to promote the general
welfare...."  I've always taken that to mean that our duly elected
government can constitutionally  -- in representing the people (you all
do vote, right?) -- make laws that regulate aspects of public policy.

No right is absolute -- each must be exercised with vigilance and
equivalent responsibility.  Now, if you'll excuse me, I must return this
soapbox to its owner....

Rich