Steering Rack Leak

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Steering Rack Leak
From: MIKE MACLEAN <macleans@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 00:01:03 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Any listers use 140 wt gear oil in their steering racks?  I just
finished rebuilding mine for my restoration.  New boots, damper
plungers, backlash checked, etc., etc.  I was quite proud of the fact
that I figured out how to fill it with 140 wt gear oil.  I just put 10
ounces in a manual pump oil can with a flexible tube on it against the
hole in the rack body after removing the zert fitting and pumped away.
Filled it up and went to bed that night.  The next morning apuddle was
under the rack on the floor.  It seems to have leaked out through the
brass pinion bearing cap.  Was this supposed to be sealed somehow?
                          Mike MacLean-60 Sprite