Re: A question on wheel bearings

To: "David Ramsey" <dwramsey@worldnet.att.net>, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: A question on wheel bearings
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 13:06:17 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
This whole spacer question was hashed about on the mgs list also. I've
replaced both sets of front bearings and both sides had the spacers but no
shims. First, are there supposed to be shims, and second, if not, how would
the spacer add strength since it's not long enough to be firmly squeezed
between the inner and outer bearings? Or is it? (This is starting to sound
like an X-files thang...)

Crash, I loved that note. :)

Jeff

 At 12:31 PM -0500 10/30/98, David Ramsey wrote:

> Sorry guys I can't resist, I run tapered cone roller bearings from timken
>without the spacer in my hubs.  This allows you adjust the pre-load on the
>bearings and kicks butt when compared to ball bearings.  I thought
>everybody knew that, but when I posted it before I found out that my
>wheels are going to fall off because the axles are so weak on these cars
>that they need the bearing spacer to support them. Was I surprised that
>this spacer that gives the ball bearings some kind of pre-load (not really
>it just spaces them apart) is the only thing between me and the front
>wheels on my car flying off.  Last month I hit a pot hole on I-80 east of
>Reno that threw my car into the air and had an axle snapped I still would
>run the tapered cone roller bearings!  I was surprised the whole front of
>the car didn't break off. It was so bad that I spilled my beer, dropped my
>cel-phone (I was talking to my lawyer), and worst of all I lost the draft
>of the "triple trailer" 18 wheeler. OK you can all go back to more
>important things on the list now.
>               Crash

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
Senior Editor, Molecular Vision