Re: Steering Rack Leak

Subject: Re: Steering Rack Leak
From: Robert Duquette <RobertDuquette@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 1998 10:17:50 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Message text written by Jeff Boatright
>Mike,

Mine has recently begun leaking there, too. It may be that you overfilled
the rack. You're the only other person I've heard of having this problem
(so far).

Jeff

At 3:01 AM -0500 10/30/98, MIKE MACLEAN wrote:

> Any listers use 140 wt gear oil in their steering racks?  I just
> finished rebuilding mine for my restoration.  New boots, damper
> plungers, backlash checked, etc., etc.  I was quite proud of the fact
> that I figured out how to fill it with 140 wt gear oil.  I just put 10
> ounces in a manual pump oil can with a flexible tube on it against the
>                           Mike MacLean-60 Sprite
<

Going from (poor) memory ... doesn't the manual say '10 strokes' from an
oil filled grease gun?  You have said 10 ounces.  Do these equate?  10
strokes seems like a rather unscientific measure?

Robert D.
'65 Sprite