RE: K& N filters

To: "'Spridgets@Autox.Team.Net'" <Spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: K& N filters
From: Jackson Zimmermann <JZIMMERM@exch.co.albemarle.va.us>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 10:05:37 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
This quote regarding the lack of filtration from K&N filters is somewhat
taken out of context.  The person writing the article was in the
construction business (this piece of mail is at least 2.5 years old as I
got it on the BMW digest years ago) and was buying filters for heavy
equipment used at construction sites for earthmoving.  I don't know
about ya'll, but construction sites have suspended dust like few places
we take our LBCs.  Baja may be one of the few places that is harder on
filters and I've never seen any LBCs there!  Paper is a superior
filtration medium.  Vizard pointed this out.  However, the K&N is not
_bad_, its just not quite as good at filtering.  The K&N DOES flow a
whole lot better than paper while still doing a very good job at
trapping most of the harmful dust particles.  The key is to make sure
that you don't over saturate the filter or under oil the filter, a very
light coat is all that is needed.  Oversaturating the filter makes it
flow poorly and not putting enough oil greatly reduces the filtering
capabilities.  I used K&Ns all the time on my dirt racing kart and with
regular engine teardowns never noticed any problems.  I use K&Ns on my
Sprite and never worry.

Jackson Zimmermann
'64 A-H Sprite
'85 BMW 535i