Re: A question on wheel bearings

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: A question on wheel bearings
From: "Alan Inglis" <ainglis@bcresearch.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 09:30:46 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net

Here is my 2c worth on preloading:
If you put a load on the end of a cantilever, it bends down. The top
surface is in tension and the bottom surface is in compression (somewhere
in the middle there is neutral axis with zero stress). Maybe our stubs with
bearings and spacers don't like to be in compression (noting that the
bearings and spacer are rotating, so go from tension into compression on
each revolution). So put some pre-load on the stubs, greater than the
compression load and the net effect is +ve load all round.
So, I know what to do with a cantilever.
Meanwhile I'll try not to think about this when I'm driving down the
highway!
---------------------- Forwarded by Alan Inglis/BC Research/CA on 11/02/98

"David Ramsey" <dwramsey@worldnet.att.net> on 10/31/98 02:41:26 AM

Please respond to "David Ramsey" <dwramsey@worldnet.att.net>