cooling system question

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: cooling system question
From: "Evangelos G. Makris" <emakris@hol.gr>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 1998 11:30:17 +0200
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I'm a little bit in the dark regarding the cooling system,
so here it is, four more questions!

My car has the vertical flow radiator, a 1275 engine and
a heater installed.

Question One:
I want to get rid of the cast-iron pump and install a high
capacity alloy water pump. Which bottom hose do I need, cause
I think the hose bores are not the same on these two pumps?

Question Two:
Is a metal 6-blade fan more efficient than the plastic fan
already there, assuming the other components of the cooling
system remain the same?

Question Three:
If I blank off the bypass hose with a suitable kit but keep the
thermostat as is, will cooling be improved or worsened?

Question Four:
Is plain water and this red liquid stuff better than ready
made antifreeze (green or blue coloured ethyleno-glycol, please
forgive the spelling)?

Thank you very much
Evangelos