Re: cooling system question

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net, emakris@hol.gr
Subject: Re: cooling system question
From: "Peter Samaroo" <mrbugeye@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 05:47:31 PST
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
>From: "Evangelos G. Makris" <emakris@hol.gr>
>Question One:
>I want to get rid of the cast-iron pump and install a high
>capacity alloy water pump. Which bottom hose do I need, cause
>I think the hose bores are not the same on these two pumps?
As far as I know the pumps are completely interchangeable and use the
same diameter hoses. Be sure to check for proper clearance between the
impeller and the cylinder wall.

>Question Two:
>Is a metal 6-blade fan more efficient than the plastic fan
>already there, assuming the other components of the cooling
>system remain the same?
The plastic fan is better and quieter plus if it fragments it will not
do as much damage. You should also have a shroud around your fan.

>Question Three:
>If I blank off the bypass hose with a suitable kit but keep the
>thermostat as is, will cooling be improved or worsened?
If you block the bypass you may have a problem with the thermostat not
opening at the correct temperature as there will be no flow around the
head to warm it up. Also the water pump will cavitate as it will not be
able to pull any water thru when the thermostat is closed. You either
need to use a thermostat blanker or possibly drill some holes in the
thermostat to allow some coolant to flow thru.

>Question Four:
>Is plain water and this red liquid stuff better than ready
>made antifreeze (green or blue coloured ethyleno-glycol, please
>forgive the spelling)?
According to literature I have recieved from PRESTONE (an antifreeze
manufacturer) they already add a wetting agent to their antifreeze. You
may want to reduce your proportion of antifreeze to the minimum level
needed for the temperatures in your area but probably not less than
25%antifreeze to 75%water Too strong a mixture will cause overheating as
antifreeze does not conduct heat very well. Stick to the old type
antifreeze it apparently works better than the new environmentally
friendly stuff.
I reduced the operating temp of my car from 200 to 190 just by dropping
from a 50/50 mix to a 25/75 mix on a totally clean system, it may have
dropped even lower but I have a 190 thermostat.
'59 Bugeye 948 downflow with a plastic fan.

>Thank you very much
>Evangelos

Regards,
Peter.