Re: Drippy 1275

To: "Eriks Skinkis" <eriks@netspace.net.au>, <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Drippy 1275
From: "Ron Soave" <redlotus@spacey.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 20:43:53 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Eriks,
Well, knock wood, 450 miles on a 1275 I recently built and not one single
drip, as in zero.  At one point I thought the head was damp near the front
left oil feed hole, but dried up upon retorquing.  This from a guy who had
to dump the oil drip tray I kept under the old 948 every 4 or 5 days.
There is no rear main seal in the 1275, just a close tolerance fit between
rear main cap, endplate cover and crankshaft with grooves in the crank to
help throw oil forward.   As many responses will tell you, good PCV is
critical to preventing oil from finding the path of least resistance, which
is likely thru your rear seal.  I put a "y" fitting in, with lines running
from the timing case cover oil separator and the rocker cover spigot to a
PCV valve.  I used a PCV valve from Napa (part number 2-9254) tied into the
intake manifold (in my case, a Weber).  When my engine was screwed
together, every surface was as spotless as possible and black (600 deg F)
RTV was used on every possible gasket.  As it is obviously not real
practical to rip your engine apart to do this, make sure you've got good
crankcase ventilation, i.e. that your PCV is installed, and that the valve
is functioning.  The "y" setup seems to work great.

Good luck -
Ron