Re: Drippy 1275

To: Eriks Skinkis <eriks@netspace.net.au>
Subject: Re: Drippy 1275
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 17:53:41 -0800 (PST)
Cc: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
On Thu, 5 Nov 1998, Eriks Skinkis wrote:

> I have a 1275 engine that I think drips more oil than is normal. The oil
> seems to be leaking out between the back of the engine and the rear
> engine plate, and not through the hole in the gearbox bellhousing.
>
> Can someone confirm that this is not the usual, and if there is some
> seal or gasket that I should be looking at replacing to fix this.

Eriks, it is unfortunately quite "normal".  I am reading a number of
contemtorary test articles right now, and testers mention it on almost
NEW CARS!
The problem usually is the rear end of teh crankshaft.  There is no real
seal at the end, just a spiral that is supposed to carry the oil back into
the engine.
What helps a lot is to make sure you PCV circuit is operating.  This
applies vacuum to the crankcase and thus helps to keep the oil in.

                                                           '67 Sprite