Re: 1.5" SUs

To: Daniel1312@aol.com
Subject: Re: 1.5" SUs
From: Martyn Ridley <ridleymj@bis.on.ca>
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 1998 20:12:37 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
At 03:14 PM 08-11-98 EST, you wrote:
Hey, Daniel, point well taken.  The issue I've always come up against is
whether the engine can use all that air flow.  In the end it never seemed
to be the carb that was the ultimate holdup.  Might I presume you are
starting from a 1275, not a 948?

By the way, what are you using as an exhaust?

Cheers,
Martyn

>Hi Martyn,
>
>I do not agree that twins are better than singles.  What matters is the
amount
>of airflow the engine receives (and requires) and with carbs the amount of
air
>the carb can flow be it a large single carb or two smaller carbs.  Although a
>twin 1.5 SU set up will flow a total of more air, on many A Series engines
you
>will get a better result with a single 1.75 (or maybe a single 2.0?).  The
>only usual advantage of a twin SU setup over a single is better fuel economy
>(gas mileage).
>
>Also, when talking about SU carbs it is perhaps worth clarifying which SU.  I
>mention this because the later HIF carbs flow more air than earlier HS types.
>
>I am very acquainted with David Vizard's books, as well as Haynes SU manual
>and another book on SUs.  I also have a library of other tuning books.
>Perhaps I can refer you to page 75 of the yellow edition of Vizard's A series
>book where a table idicates airflow in cfm for a 1.5 SU H4 carb is 133, it
>being a reasonable assumption that two of these carbs make 266 cfm.  The same
>table  indicates a SU HIF6 carb making 240cfm - only 26 cfm less than the
twin
>setup and I would suggest that the small gain of the twins might well easily
>be lost on the manifolds.
>
>For myself I haven't run SU carbs in a decade but as I said before, from what
>I have heard (some comments originating very close to Mr Vizard) the
single SU
>1.75 takes some beating.
>
>Further comment welcomed, especially when supported with dyno figures.
>
>Daniel 1312
>
>45 DCOE, 40mm main venturi (smaller sizes to prove it needed the 40mm
>venturis) 185 main jets, 55 pumps, 65 F9 idles - and the mixture bang on, and
>engine taking full throttle in 4th at 2,500rpm if not lower with a MD286
>scatter cam (K&N air filter used to make sure small children are not sucked
>into the intake tracts)

It's the going, not the getting there, that's good.
         (Harry Chapin - Greyhound)