1275 vs 1500

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 1275 vs 1500
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 21:33:28 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Ok I have to add my $.02 just like everybody else.
1972, I buy my 1275 Sprite off my dad and I love it.
1973, I buy a brand new Spitfire 1500 off the lot for $3000.
1976, I sell the Spitfire with it's 3rd engine for $900.
I have owned only A series engine cars ever since, and if I did manage
to get a 1500 Midget, I swapped it out for an A series.

1st to go on my 1500 was the rings at 11,000 miles, replace it with a
1296 older triumph engine which ran great while I rebuilt the 1500.
Next, spun a main bearing while racing a Fiat on the hiway!!
Embarrassed, I put the 1296 back into the car then it throws a rod. Next
I acquire another 1500 engine from a 74 wrecked spitfire (this is 1975
so the engine was only about a year old) this thing never had any oil
pressure and since I was also getting tired of changing diffs (9 in 3
years) I sold the car and swore never to own another Triumph powered car
in my life. So far I not but I did sell a few that I never titled in my
name.

Back to A series engines....I never blew one up, never had oil pressure
problems, never had major smoking problems unless it was a relic I just
saved from the junk yard, even then most run great with only some fresh
gas. I have rebuilt many  and only twice replaced cam bearings only
because I was replacing the cam, I have also slapped them together with
different rods (mixed sets) miss matched pistons, and good used bearings
and they run forever. The slapped together engines seem to be the ones
with no problems. My wife's Sprite PIECES is called PIECES because it
was made from all good used parts including the engine! It always
starts, runs excellent, and actually has better oil pressure then my
resent re-machined rebuild.

Sorry for ranting, this is just my personal experiences with both
engines.
Has any A series owners ever had lower end problems, stuck cylinder
heads, 5 psi oil pressure, or trouble getting #1 spark plug out?
Just curious.

Not looking to start a war either, it's just my belly button.
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ