Re: Starter Malfunction

To: "Dave Hiley" <dhiley@cadvision.com>, <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Starter Malfunction
From: "Steve Byers" <byers@cconnect.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 14:18:45 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hi, Dave --
Sometimes the starter pinion gear sticks on the shaft so that it doesn't
move into contact with the flywheel when the starter turns.  You may have
some slight corrosion or contamination making it stick.  You can probably
keep trying the starter, and eventually you will get engagement, but
engagement will most likely be intermittent until you take the starter off
and remove the corrosion or contamination.  I just use a wire brush on
mine, and don't lubricate the shaft and pinion, but others may recommend a
lubricant.

Stay warm!

Steve Byers
Havelock, NC USA
'73 Midget GAN5UD126009G  "OO NINE"
"It is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool
than to speak, and remove all doubt"  -- Mark Twain