Help me with my Rear Brakes.

To: "'spridgets@Autox.Team.Net'" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Help me with my Rear Brakes.
From: Andrew Griffith <Andrew.Griffith@ReadRite.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 08:24:00 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Morning Spridgetters,

I'm getting very frustrated over my rear brakes, the early type... I just
can't seem to get them right. I've bleed them and bleed them and then I
bleed them more, and I still can't get a good stiff pedal on the first pump,
put the second is hard as a rock. I can positively say that the problem is
not air in the lines.

My car is a '62 MKII w/ the original single piston cylinder setup. I rebuilt
my master (original 7/8" bore) twice and I'm about 98% sure it was done
right. As far as the push rod adjustment goes, I think that it's done right
also... as I adjusted it I would feel for any end play and when I felt that
the rod bottomed out against the inside of the piston, I gave it about
another half turn. I remember last week the topic of MC push rods came up...
what size should I have? I'll check it.

I converted the fronts to disk (they seem to work fine) and rebuilt all the
wheel cylinders, making sure that no pits are in any.

I even got down and checked the travel of the piston in the rear wheel
cylinders while the brake was applied, it only moved about a quarter of an
inch. Anyone know what the piston travel should be? I've also but on new
shoes and re-surfaced the drums. I checked the diameter of the drums,
they're about 7 1/16". I think new they are 7". Is it possible that my drums
are too big?

Should I scrap these and upgrade the rears as well?

Please send suggestions !!

Thanks,

-Drew in San Jose Ca.