Re: New Owner with Engine Questions

To: Jarrod Harris <mgjarrod@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: New Owner with Engine Questions
From: "J. Adrian Barnes" <adrian@icx.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 18:42:52 -0500
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Jarrod Harris wrote:

>       A couple of weeks ago I acquired a '76 Midget in very good
> condition.  It runs good, but as being somewhat unfamiliar with the

Congrats!

>     Second, how fast are these cars suppose to go?  I still have the
> original carbs and all and I was wondering if it's performing the way it
> is supposed to?  I know these aren't speed demons or anything, but mine
> seems to top out at about 65-70mph.  I'm wanting to drive this car daily
> as my means of transportation and I'm just wondering is this about what
> everyone else gets?  Thanks in advance for the help.

You said "original carbS."  Do you have the SUs on your 1500?  The US
versions have a single Zenith-Stromberg originally.  The thing shouldn't be
that sluggish or slow.  When I was younger I managed to get my '75 up to
around 90 or slightly higher.  Didn't realize I was going that fast while
driving alongside a friend of mine in a '66 Mustang, but it made it, and so
did I (I was 16).  Regardless, it should go faster than 65.  It's been so
long since I have had a running one I can't remember much about the choke,
but it shouldn't run right with the choke out after it warms up from what I
can remember.

Anyway, congrats on your purchase, and welcome to the list!

adrian

J. Adrian Barnes
adrian@icx.net

http://user.icx.net/~adrian/midget