Re: New Owner with Engine Questions

To: <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: New Owner with Engine Questions
From: "Daryl and Jennifer May" <mayfam@sprynet.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 17:28:29 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Jarrod,

The manual-choke A-series engines all respond sensitively to the choke when
they are cold.  A normal start is to open to full choke, and then quickly
reduce to around half-choke when the engine catches (less or more choke and
it may stall).

Then, as the engine warms up, you push the choke in in stages, and it
should be fully in when the engine is fully warmed up.  This all becomes
instinctive pretty soon, and of course it's quite different from an
automatic choke which does it all for you.

While the engine is warming up, if you have too little choke, then pulling
out the choke some amount will indeed act like the throttle.  Perhaps this
is what you are describing?

After it has warmed up, typically within about 2 miles but depends on
weather, the choke should be fully in, and pulling it out will not work
like the throttle as far as accel, but it may burn more fuel.

If it all does not work this way, then your choke cable probably needs
adjustment.

Hope this helps.

Daryl