Re: New Owner with Engine Questions

To: <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: New Owner with Engine Questions
From: "Guy" <Guy@weller-lakes.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 14:47:54 -0000
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Jarrod,
Congrats on the new car.
The UK spec (ie without anti-smog) cars fitted with SUs were supposed to
just top out at 100. Mine never would, on the flat, until I worked on the
engine and fitted an o/d gearbox.  Now it will go faster than I dare to
drive it. Over 90 it is more like flying than driving; have to start working
out vectors to take account of side winds !
Seriously, yours should be faster. If it is responding to the choke even
when warm it may be set up at too weak a mixture, or the throttle spindles
may be worn, letting in air. (test this by dripping a little oil onto the
spindle bushings and listen for a change in engine revs.)
Don't try adjusting the carbs until you have first checked contact breaker
gaps, ignition timing and plugs. Also check that the SU dashpots have  a
little oil in them. You might also do a compression check,.. but that's
another story as others will tell you ! <gg>
If all this sounds too much don't worry, there are folk on this list who can
pretty well rebuild your car by E-mail !!
Guy