Tacometer Questions.

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Tacometer Questions.
From: Andrew Griffith <Andrew.Griffith@ReadRite.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 08:23:35 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Morning fellow listers,
Well  I finally got around to pulling the dead Tac out of the '62 Sprite
that I bought this past summer. I was hopping that it was never converted to
negative ground, but most of my problems are never that easy.

To my surprise I found that one of the PO tried to put the guts of a modern
Tac inside this original Smiths case. Looking at the Tac you couldn't tell
that it had been worked on... but inside it was all kludged up. The workings
were never fastened down, styrofoam was cut to fit it in tight to keep it
from rattling around. No wonder it wasn't working. The funny thing is about
this tac, the guts were from a 250 -270 degree tac so the Smiths numbers
were all off. This guy had to apply some correction factor every time he
looked at it, good grief.

So now I'm shopping for a second hand Smiths tac for a Sprite, and I need to
find out...
1.      Are all Spridget tacs the same?
2.      What about size?
3.      Was the tac model type changed much from year to year?
4.      Do different model years have different red lines?  My case has a 6
or 6.5K red line and I'd like to go higher.
5.      Any suggestions?
6.      Anyone have a positive or negative ground tac for a reasonable
price?

Cheers,
-Drew
 '62 MKII Sprite w/ no name yet.