Aluminium Heads

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Aluminium Heads
From: Greg Mahney <mahney@central.murdoch.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 17:13:29 +0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I was recently asked by a member of this list if I knew anyone here in
Australia who had heard of  the Alexander Cross flow aluminum cylinder head.

Below is a modified version of my reply.  I thought some of you may find it
of interest.

###

 The only time I've heard of it was when it was mentioned on the Spridgets
list a while ago.

A couple of things may be of interest...

In my copy of the book "How to modify your Mini" by Vizard he mentions an
Aluminium, cross flow, 8 port head designed by Jim Whitehouse of Arden
Engineering.  He isn't overly impressed saying that a really hot 1300cc
with a modified head will pull 128hp, this head gives it 135hp.  A lot of
trouble for not much gain (unless you are racing).  It is an old book, 1975
from memory - I don't know if he mentions it in his A-Series tuning "bible".

The other thing was that on getting your query I went to the local newstand
and looked at Mini magazines (us spridgeteers are just kidding ourselves
compared to what some of those guys get up to...)   Anyway, apart from
several UK mags with lots of interesting looking ads and articles (in that
order) there was an Aussie mag "Mini Magic" No 4.  It had a cover story
about a hill climb competition Mini.  The engine was an A-Series
modified/built by KAD Engineering in England.  The car had a "thick walled
block", Cosworth pistons, fuel injection and a aluminium, twin OHC, 4 valve
per cylinder, head.  They didn't mention prices, but the impression I got
was that several arms and legs wouldn't be enough to pay for it.

Anyway, I thought it might be of interest to you.

Greg