Re: hoods (bonnets)

To: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Subject: Re: hoods (bonnets)
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 14:59:25 -0800 (PST)
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Jeff,
As you probably know, two different designs of hood hinges were used.  The
early type was used for the Bugeye and Spridgets until 68 I think.  They
often buckle on Spridgets (especially repros), I have no idea how they are
supposed to hold up half a Bugeye.
The second style is a 4-bar linkage type that bolts to the firewall.  On
the hood, it uses only two of the four holes.  For this reason, the later
hoods only have captive nuts behind two of the four holes.  You could add
the captive nuts I guess, but would have to "get in there" somehow.
The tab where the hood prop attaches is also in a different spot.

I have a 79 hood in my basement and intend to use it if my hood ever gets
damaged.

Ulix

On Fri, 4 Dec 1998, Jeff Boatright wrote:

> Will later Midget (Mk3 or 4) hoods fit early cars?
>
> TIA,
>
> Jeff
>

> Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
> Senior Editor, Molecular Vision