Re: Radiator

To: john.gronberg@us.landisstaefa.com, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Radiator
From: "Paul A. Dolloff, Ph.D." <pauld@ekpc.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 11:04:56 -0500EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
> From:          "Gronberg, John" <john.gronberg@us.landisstaefa.com>
> To:            "'spridgets@Autox.Team.Net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
> Subject:       Radiator
> Date:          Mon, 7 Dec 1998 08:21:00 -0600

> I have a vertical flow radiator from a 65 Sprite that is leaking.  I had
> planned to take this radiator to the local radiator repair shop and have
> them replace the "fins" since that's what is leaking.  I have heard on the
> "net" a "four core" fin set is available for this radiator rather that the
> old "three core". I don't understand how a 4 core could "fit" into a three
> core space?  I would like to hear from anyone who can confirm this and get
> some example of the cost.
>
> Regards
> John Gronberg
> Siemens Building Technologies, Inc.
> Buffalo Grove, Illinois 60089-4513
> 847-215-1050 ex 5092
> john.gronberg@us.landisstaefa.com

John,

I had my horizontal flow radiator recored this summer.  I do know
that the new core not only had more tubes it also used fins that have
bends in them instead of being straight.  I was told that the bends
allow the air to remain in contact with the tubes longer before
exiting out of the back of the radiator than straight fins.

With a 1275 and the original vertical flow, I experienced dreadful
overheating problems.  Although I haven't had much time behind the
wheel after the conversion, I didn't experience any over heating with
the recored cross flow.  Is that due to the crossflow or the new core
or both?  By the way, the orginal vertical flow was cleaned, checked,
and was working perfectly.

Paul
Paul A. Dolloff, Ph.D.
Lexington, KY