Re: copper vs. steel

To: Steve Byers <byers@cconnect.net>
Subject: Re: copper vs. steel
From: "R. C. Brown" <rcbrown@lucent.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 09:07:19 -0600
Cc: Lancer7676@aol.com, john.kahoon@juno.com, simon_matthews@avanticorp.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
But rust is a problem for some of us. I drove from CHicago to Oklahoma
this fall. I made a sudden stop in St. Louis, after which the pedal was
soft and would not firm with slight pumping. After arriving in Oklahoma
I decided it was time to remedy the problem. A pin hole rust spot
had enlarged  enought that the fluid readily flowed out of the line
going to the rear breaks.
Late on a Saturday afternoon in a small town it is difficult to find
parts. THerfore a trip to the next town, with very limited braking
ability was an experience. Still did not get the "right" temporary
fix material, but did get the car home to Chicago on Sunday, with only
one stop to re-repair the line.

Anyone that lives anywhere snow and salt should consider what years of
abuse can do to brake lines. Carry  small section (6") of hydraulic
hose line with your spare parts along with several hose clamps to
hold it in place.  Inspect your lines periodically to prevent a
similar situation.

Bob