Judson update

To: wsthompson@thicko.com, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Judson update
From: GMari58175@aol.com
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 11:16:03 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 12/15/98 8:52:52 AM Eastern Standard Time,
wsthompson@thicko.com writes:

<< Keep me posted on your Judson progress... I've got one that  I'm hoping to
 plop on a 1275 in a MKIII Sprite. Any reason this wouldn't work?

Hi William,
Will certainly keep you up to date.
My friend Buzz who has a Judson in his 948 bugeye loves it, advised me that it
took quite a bit of tweeking to get it to run properly.  My advise to you is
the following:
1.  Engine must be in good shape inside and out!  No compression leaks, good
valves, etc.
2.   Must have good cooling system!  Clogged radiator etc, will cause you
nightmares.
3.  MOST important!!!!!   The Holley carb you are using MUST be the correct
carb for your blower ; and it MUST be calibrated perfectly.  I had mine
rebuilt by Pony Carburators in Casenovia, NY.  GREAT folks.

Once you get the thing installed, the fun begins.  Getting the timing/ignition
set right is gonna take awhile.  Also get yourself a bunch of Holly jets.
Mine currently has a #65 in it.  Runs great around town but bogs down,
overheats and pings at highway speed (50-60mph).  Leading me to believe that
it is running lean.  So my next project is to increase the size of the jet.
Starting at #68.  we'll see and will advise.  Best of luck!
PS:  Very important that you get yourself a vacume/pressure gauge.  This
monitors when the blower is activated.  You don't want to be cruising for a
long time with the blower active. It does wonders for the engine!
Oh, one other thing!   Absolutely make sure that the inverted oiler is
properly set to lubricate the blower and head sufficiently.  It's very easy to
forget this one very significant detail.   Do you have a copy of the Judson
instructions?
I also installed an NOS Judson Electronic Magneto (positive ground).  It works
great and really looks cool too.  Are you part of the Judson list?  Think
it's:
Judson@autox.team.net
Good luck with yours.
george Marinos