SICP weirdness

To: spridgets <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: SICP weirdness
From: "J. Adrian Barnes" <adrian@icx.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 14:12:34 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I finally got Special Interest Car Parts to send me a catalog, and there
wasn't a price sheet.  Called 'em up and was told that due to the rapid
fluctuation of the British Pound, they weren't distributing price lists
anymore.  ?????  Huh?  She said I could just call them for prices.
Let's see...a ten minute phone call at .07 a minute, say, resulting in
no sale, my frustration, and a bill to them of .70.  OR...  copying a
price list of 3-4 sheets at .03 a sheet and simply enclosing that in the
packet they already send out with a catalog....

Is that strange, or is there some sort of economic merit to that policy?

adrian,
confused