Datsun 5-speed conversion

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Datsun 5-speed conversion
From: "Paul Dolloff" <pauld@ekpc.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 10:00:27 EST5EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
List,

A mechanic in Charlotte named Tim Corby and Peter Samaroo of the list
have just completed installing a Datsun 5-speed into my '66 with a
1275 and 4.22 rear end.  Tim just gave me call because he was
concerned that the transmission is making quite a bit more noise than
he had expected.  For those of you with Datsun trannys, are we to
expect a lot of noise?

I had the transmission inspected before installation.  That mechanic
does nothing but transmission work for the Lexington postal service.
Anyway, he couldn't believe how extremely little wear there was on
the inside of the tranny.  He went ahead and changed the front are
rear main bearings.  Even these he thought were fine.

Tim used standard gear oil - 80 or 90 weight - he wasn't sure.

Also, the guys installed a new clutch.

Tim noticed that the clutch travel is substantially shorter with the
Datsun installed.  Is this also to be expected?

Finally, is first gear of the Sprite lower than the first gear of the
Datsun?  Perhaps this is why Bill Perry (of Rivergate) recommends the
4.22 rear end.  As I've said before, I really like having a quick off
the line Sprite.

Without having seen the car first hand, I can't properly describe the
sounds.  Peter, are you out there?  What does it sound like to you?

Tim and Peter encountered a number of small frustrating problems for
which they devised clever solutions.  You guys should ask them to
provide a "lessons learned" posting.  I'll share one of the many
strategies the guys developed - they modified and fitted the kit to
the tranny and a SPARE engine block so that the entire assembly was
ready to go before they pulled the motor.

I apologize, I rambled.  Just excited.

Thanks,
Paul
Paul A. Dolloff, Ph.D.