Re: Datsun 5-speed conversion

To: "Paul Dolloff" <pauld@ekpc.com>
Subject: Re: Datsun 5-speed conversion
From: "Larry and Sandi Miller" <millerls@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 13:34:11 -0800
Cc: <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I have it installed with a 948.

I replaced all of the bearings prior to installation and I still have a howl
between 50 and 60 MPH in 5th, why couldn't it have been between 90 and 100?
Below or above and it's quiter than any Spridget box I've had.

1st is slightly lower and the change between 2nd and 3rd is greater than the
Sprite. In my case 3rd gear is too high, I have to go to 2nd where before I
would go to 3rd.

I think the real advantage of the 5-speed is the syncro 1st. It's a pleasure
to drive in town now that I can just cram it in low.

No clutch problems here but the pedal is a little stiff.

I set the amount of travel and the engagement point by playing with the
adjustments at the MC and the slave.

I'm using the 7/8 Sprite MC and a Toyota (don't remember the part #) slave.
I'm switching to a 3/4 MC in hopes of making the pedal effort a little
lighter.

I'm using Mobil synthetic.

Larry Miller