Re: Ignitor

To: Daniel1312@aol.com
Subject: Re: Ignitor
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 18:22:12 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Daniel1312@aol.com wrote:

> I have to say this is not the first bad thing I have heard about the ignitor.
> It tends not to like vibration on race cars either.  BUT, why throw it out?

I did not throw it out, I was determined to figure out WHY this thing
keeps giving me headaches. It has no moving parts!
I did put the second mounting screw in it and it seemed to stop the a
lot of the problems, no more vibrations anyway. But the hard starting in
cold or damp weather was driving me crazy. With the points, it started
right away in cold (10f) and rain (very heavy rain yesterday)
The Ignitor may not have been totally at fault, I found the coil wire
was green with corrosion where it makes contact with the coil.
This was a new one on me, I have never seen this before. The coil and
wires are less than 1 year old and have only about 2500 miles on them.
I cleaned the corrosion off and the car starts much easier now but It
still has the points. I will try refitting the Ignitor one more time.

Does any know if maybe the ceramic ballast resistor on the coil has
something to do with this?
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ