Lurking in Texas

To: "spridgets@Autox.Team.Net" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Lurking in Texas
From: Wayne Lowry <hotwheels@longviewtx.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 10:27:34 -0600
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I am not totally new to the list, but I have been away from the computer
for a while.
As I look at some of the tales from other listers I begin to feel like
the luckiest man alive.
I have always liked little cars and my first real stab at them was a 66
Datsun. It would not run and I was only 17. I sold it for a song and got
normal cars for a while. Then when I was 35 my little brother bought
another Datsun. Beautiful, fast, and dependable...
I had to have something to drive. I found a 70 Spitfire in pieces for
500.00.
Being a good mechanic and having heated garages (3 car) lots of covered
storage and every tool known to Texas. I proceeded to build a LBC. It
ran great, but I was overcome by rust and lack of time. Then a most
fortunate thing happened...
I saw a bugeye sitting in a garage! Not a shy person at all, I stopped
and talked to the man and discovered it was for sale....$1800.00. Very
nice car. Had a few paint cracks and was told that it was not dependable
for unknown reasons. One problem....I had no money! Sadly I departed to
other things. I later came into a bit of cash and had a sunday off. Was
the car still available??? Yes!!!! With a price reduction too!! Cosmo
went home with me and I started checking him out. Brakes..of
course..lights..Just a bit of cleaning.
The big problem that caused the undependability??!!  Bad distributor
cap! I picked one up at the local parts store for 16.00. Other minor
incidents and he was on the road.
Today is 22 degrees and he is taking me to work.
This inspired my brother (He rolled the Datsun) to find a 66 and a 67
Austin Healy way out in the sticks for 600.00. 66 runs and drives..67 is
for parts.
I have given up my Mustang passion for the LBCs.
I just discovered that the scary clanking coming out from the rear axle
was only a loose exhaust pipe and the new tail light was installed
yesterday. Well, the temperature is rapidly climbing and I must go drive
Cosmo.
Bruce Lowry
Hallsville, Tx