Re: Front suspension advice please

Subject: Re: Front suspension advice please
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 15:05:27 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Spridgets Mail list <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I would recommend looking for an LBC shop that has the special reamer that
reams both bushings at the same time.  If you can't find such a shop, you
could send the parts to Apple Hydraulics (don't buy their shocks, get
them from Peter C.) to have reamed.
The one-piece reamer insures that they are lined up correctly.
The true cleverness of your machinist might come out after a couple of 100
miles when the play is as bad as before...

Ulix
I agree with Frank:  replace the upper trunnion bushings first and see.

On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, Geoff Branch wrote:

> Justin-  The dreaded king pin bushing is not  the problem.  Installing it
> is.  It has to be reamed in place after pressing into place.  The problem is
> that the top and bottom bushing are different sizes and you have to be a
> pretty clever machinist to pull off the in line reaming that is needed.   I
> found a great local guy who installed them, reamed them perfectely, and
> installed the wheel bearings for me for $45.00 US ( I supplied the parts).
> Look around your area, ask parts guys, ask garages (especially foreign) for
> names of machine shops that are clever.  Regards  Geoff Branch
>
> '74 Midget "Yellow Peril"

                                              '67 Sprite     '74 X1/9