Another lurker

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Another lurker
From: "Alan Inglis" <ainglis@bcresearch.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 17:09:00 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net

Yes, I'm guilty of lurking, too. I have thoroughly enjoyed the List and have
soaked up a huge amount of great information. Checking my mail file, I can see
that an archive would be very useful!
I am from the old country but I landed in Vancouver, BC, Canada seven years ago.
I had owned 2 MGs before the move and so I was delighted to find them (and
Sprites!) all over the place in BC (mostly B's though). It did not take long
before I bought a BSA m/c which was replaced by a 'B and then by a '74 Midget in
good conditon. I have used it regularly on the road for 2 years and in autox
last year. That was GREAT fun! The autox is run by the local Jag club to JCNA
rules but the Midget gives all but the best Jags a good run for their money. Now
I have to control my urge to get better times (by spending more and more
money!).
So then someone upset my bliss and advertised a bug-eye, real cheap. I went,
looked and bought. But it is a mess. It is very complete but dismantled and
competely rusted out. I should just part it out but I can't. I tried to sell it
but couldn't. So I'm going to buy some steel and a welder........ On reflection
I understand why I bought this car (no-one else does). I always wanted a bug-eye
but good ones are more expensive than Midgets and too much for me (and my wife)
to invest in a hobby. So I was lucky to find a good Midget. This bug-eye is
going to be purchased on a lease to own basis. Initial down payment and handy
monthly payments for 2-5 years and then it is mine! If I can do the work!
Since I have been driving the Midget I have uncovered all these other cars that
equally deserve a good home. Like most of you (but not all of you) I have to
restrain myself. Sometimes this has been easy because I often find that the
owner, when I find, him wants twice as much as I think it is worth. That is
still very unsatisfactory because the poor old car gets to languish out in all
weathers until the next person comes along.
But I am always on the look-out for parts. Last night I picked up a new but
damaged top (hood) and 4 more rostyle wheels. Why, I don't need them? But I
might!
I realize that these lovely little cars sometimes create disappointment and
frustration so I have joined the local MG club, the local old English car club,
the Midget and Sprite Club and the MGOC to provide support and encouragement
similar to that which this list provides.
Thank you all,
Alan