Re: Installing Wheel Bearings

To: chuckc <chuckc@ibm.net>
Subject: Re: Installing Wheel Bearings
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 08:26:29 -0800 (PST)
Cc: spridgets <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
On Thu, 7 Jan 1999, chuckc wrote:

> I hope to be installing new wheel bearings
> on all 4 this weekend. Any tips and helpful
> suggestions gratefully appreciated!
>
> Like, fer instance, what's the "best" way to get
> the bearings back into the hubs? Can I tap them, or
> will that make them come apart (as they did when I
> removed them)?

You can tap them, just always tap on the part that has the press fit.  So
when you are pressing the brg into the hub only tap on the outer ring.

> The BOOK sez to use grease on the rear wheel bearings.
> Howcum? Won't it be immediately washed off by the
> diff fluid? I don't see any way to keep it out.
> When the old bearings came out, they were liberally
> covered with oil film, but not a sign of grease.
> What gives?

I think the idea is that the oil supplements the grease.  Of course the
oil will also wash out the grease after a while.

Ulix, Engineer (NOT a british one...)

                                              '67 Sprite     '74 X1/9