Re: Roadster vs Convertible terminology

Subject: Re: Roadster vs Convertible terminology
From: Robert Duquette <RobertDuquette@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 09:05:54 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
This from 'British Car' magazine: "The Jupiter is considered to be a
convertible sports coupe as opposed to the roadster designation for the
Morgan, since it has roll-up windows and a tight-fitting top."

I had tried to look up the 2 in a dictionary ('73 version of Gages) of a
co-worker on Friday and got this definition (now from memory ... yikes!):
Roadster: ... with a single bench seat and usually with a rumble seat ...

Webster's ('88 edition) says: "an open car, with a front seat only, and
room for luggage in the back, or a rumble seat."
(singular on the front seat !?!)

Message text written by "Steve Byers"
>All that may be true.  But why, then, does my BMC Workshop Manual show a
picture of a Healey 3000, with the caption "Austin-Healey '3000' Mk. II and
III Sports Convertible..."   The 3000 was never designed or built with a
fixed roof.
This manual also covers the previous versions of the car, which had a
stowable soft top, but the pictures don't call them "convertibles" (or
"roadsters, either, in case somebody wants to know).

Steve Byers<