Re: Disc conversion

To: Andrew.Griffith@ReadRite.com, Spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Disc conversion
From: Daniel1312@aol.com
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 17:56:53 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 13/1/1999  9:17:44PM, you write:

<< Well I've done the conversion to disc brakes already, but I'm concerned
 about spinning the car around when I have to hit the brakes, "Hard"!  Do you
 know if these earlier cars are prone to locking up the fronts after being
 converted to discs?  >>

I seem to have deleted my earlier reply before sending it, so here goes again.

All you have to worry about with locking wheels is to make sure the fronts
lock first.  If the rears lock first you will spin unless you can catch the
tail slide quick enough! (I did this in a large can with faulty brakes once)

You can fit an adjustable  proportioning valve but you would do so IMHO to
reduce braking effort at the rear, never to increase it.  BUT, a proportioning
valve would at least allow you to tailor the bias from front to rear.

If you have a 120bhp engine I would want a bit more than standard discs up
front and standard drums at the rear, especially so with a road car which is
inevitably heavier than a racer.  Serious use of the power (at least in
England) can quickly fade even performance brake liningss.  You should also
think hard about using DOT 5.1 (non Silicone fluid).

Daniel 1312