Re: Hood Header Rail?

To: Mike Gigante <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
Subject: Re: Hood Header Rail?
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 19:05:41 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Alan Fisher <hello39@idt.net>, Mark Endicott <endicott@nashville.com>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I agree on the expanding foam.  For a while, a similar foam was actually
officially offered as a cavity treatment.  But it was found out that the
foam came "unstuck" from the metal and created a tiny space between the
foam and the metal.  A tiny space like this actually sucks in moisture by
the hydroscopic effect and thus promotes rust.

For the header rail, you could spray some glue in there, or maybe just
straight Waxoyl would be enough to keep the rivets from rolling around.

Ulix

On Mon, 18 Jan 1999, Mike Gigante wrote:

> Be *very* careful. That stuff is a recipe for hyperactive rust.
>
> It is pourous and holds water a long time. I *think* it is also activated by
> an acid so that wouldn't help either.
>
> I have seen a sprite that an owner filled all the cavities with that
> expanding
> polyurethane foam, and it basically fell apart after 2 years. It was in very
> good condition prior to that.
>
> I looked at the shell after it was hot tanked and (phosphoric) acid dipped.
> Neither of those two processes affected the foam, but the foam had taken
> care of most of the metal around it so that it wasn't *too* bad to get it
> out.
>
> The shell was a throw-away.
>
> I realise we are only talking here about the hood attachment, but I'd still
> avoid the stuff unless you took great precautions before hand. I'm guessing
> that liberal use of Waxoyl injected in beforehand might help.
>
> Mike
>
> Mike

                                              '67 Sprite     '74 X1/9