Re: Coil question

To: spridgets@autox.team.net, ctp@gbn.org
Subject: Re: Coil question
From: "Peter Samaroo" <mrbugeye@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 11:18:25 PST
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
The way I think it works is that the cars equipped with factory
electronic ignition had a resistor in the power supply to the coil so
that they were actually only getting 10-11 volts while the car was
running (Lucas 102 coil?) . The cars that originally had a points type
distributor supplied a full 13-14 volts to the coil (Lucas 101 coil?).
If you run a 101 type coil at a reduced voltage you do not get enough
spark conversely if you run a 102 type at full voltage the coil gets
very hot and eventually burns up. I may have the numbers mixed up but
hopefully you get the idea. So the blurbs refer to the original type of
ignition in the car not necessarily the type you have now.
Regards,
Peter Samaroo
Charlotte NC.

>Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 10:33:14 -0800
>To: spridgets@autox.team.net
>From: Christopher Palmer <ctp@gbn.org>
>Subject: Coil question
>
>Whilst perusing the VB catalog, came upon their Bosch Super coils, you
>know...red and blue.
>Their blurb said that Bosch Super coils cannot be used with electronic
>ignition.
>
>The problem?  I have a Pertronix Ignitor and a Bosch Blue coil...it
seems
>to run fine.  I can't figure out why my coil would upset my ignition.
The