Re: More on Coils was Re: Coil question

To: spritenut@Exit109.com, ctp@gbn.org
Subject: Re: More on Coils was Re: Coil question
From: Daniel1312@aol.com
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 15:51:09 EST
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 19/1/1999  1:41:15AM,  spritenut@Exit109.com writes:

<< Is THAT why my ignitor has been giving me headaches?
 I have a ballast (NOS Lucas) coil on the A40 which has (had) the
 ignitor. My coil wire corroded where it enters the coil.
 I guess it's coil time. >>

Frank,

I think the answer is NO.  All that happens when you use a ballast is that
cold starting improves.  If you use a ballast on a standard coil (ie one not
designed for ballast) you just drop the output  and thereby have a slighly
inferior performance (it is do with the winding ratio).  If the coil IS
designed for use with a ballast you have the very best of all worlds.

I would always go for a ballast coil BUT make it a sports coil.

As far as coils packing up goes, if the car starts ok when cold but struggles
to start when hot or does' t reach high rpm or has a high rpm miss this is
indicative of the coil on its way out.  If hot starting is good the coil is
usually good.

By the way, having swotted up on all this stuff this now rates as one of my
other favourite subjects (till it forget it all).

Daniel1312