Re: 73 Midget 5 Speed

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 73 Midget 5 Speed
From: "Paul Dolloff" <pauld@ekpc.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 16:04:07 EST5EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Mark,

When I took the Datsun for a test drive, I found that there was an
extreme amount of play in the shifter.  As the List told me, this is
corrected by purchasing three plastic bushings from a Nissan
dealership all for a total of $15.  Therefore, don't be afraid of the
Datsun's tranny if you experience this.

If you keep the Datsun speedometer cable, you will have to splice the
A/H one on to it so that it will fit the speedometer.  Frank posted
how to do this.  I didn't bother to do this and bought a new cable
from Bill.  I think I have the Datsun cable lying around if someone
needs it.

With the new cable, I bought the gear ratio box that mounts directly
to the Datsun tranny.  This whole setup was expensive (my opinion) at
$125.  Cheaper to splice the two cables.

You can still use the the Datsun driveshaft and the Sprite driveshaft
if you want.  Basically, you have to press fit the Datsun yoke on the
Sprite driveshaft.  Bill can do this for you - OR - you can buy a
separate piece from Bill which doesn't require either of the
driveshafts.  That is what I did.  Bill started making this part
because the cores he was being sent weren't usable.  Again, I have
the old driveshafts if anyone needs them.

If you decide to open the Datsun tranny you want to look for wear on
the synchros.  They are the rings made of the light, gold colored
metal.  After time, the corners of the teeth have a tendancy to wear
down.  Also, you can check for back and forth play within the various
bearings.

I also suggest that while you are in there that you replace the
clutch.

It is a great conversion!

Good luck,
Paul