Re: paint scheme....

To: "R. Toby Atwater" <tob@taltec.net>
Subject: Re: paint scheme....
From: Mark Snowdon <racer45@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 13:42:52 -0800
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
R. Toby Atwater wrote:

>     How would the Austin Heleay Sprite Gods feel about a paint job similar
> too the curve of a big Heleay? How come only the previous Heleays have it
> while the Sprite doesn't? Was Healey responsible for it?
> I just can't get over the bi color paint scheme.....
> (This probably brakes some kind of Sprite ethics....but what the hey!)
>
> Toby
>
> Santa Barbara, CA
> 1971 FJ-40 Land Cruiser daily driver stock everything...
> (the way its gonna stay (for now))
> 1969 Austin Heleay Sprite mark 4 (almost owner)
As the people in Beaverton Colorado say it....JUST DO IT!!

I have three Sprites and they will all probably end up with two colour
paint schemes. The 69 Sprite will be canary yellow with the rackers in a
gloss black, but until Midgets, the strip will follow the upward sweep
to the front wheels and may cross over the headligt pods and onto the
front lip on the hood, The 73 will be black with yellow rockers and
nose, the exact opposite of the 69, and the 71 will be the original
Royale Blue and black rockers, they way MG intended them to be. Note
this is a factory two-tone paint scheme, most Midgets came with.

I have always liked two tone paint schemes, I feel one colour is just a
little two much, and by carefully selection of colour can bring out
details that most people miss.

One suggestion I would make though is get a computer program like Paint
Shop that you can scan or import a picture into. Then create your paint
scheme on paper first. This will let you play with positioning of lines
etc, and also let you see the end result. I personally think the square
body is a little too short to get the right flowing effect that the Big
Healeys have. I like Big Healey, and MGA for that matter, and would
probably paint them differently, but to each his own. Good Luck

Mark Snowdon
Greensboro NC