Re: Top Again and Again

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Top Again and Again
From: "Steve Byers" <byers@cconnect.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 17:09:50 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Mark, the best way to attach the top to the header rail is to stretch the
material over the front edge of the rail and mark the position of the edge
on the top material with chalk.  It helps to have some assistance to do
this.   Make sure you keep the center of the top lined up with the center
of the header.  After marking the line representing the edge of the rail,
draw a parallel line about 1/2 back from the first one.
Now, unlatch the header and fold the frame back a little.    Apply contact
cement to the surface of the header and the matching surface of the top.
When the glue has the proper tackiness,  pull the material over the header
rail so that the second line drawn now matches the front edge of the rail
The contact cement will help hold it here.
Fold the remaining material over the front edge of the rail and glue it to
the header.  Now, you can attach the seal channel and seal.

All of this will allow you to position the top so that it will be
sufficiently tight, but still allow you to latch it.

Steve Byers
Havelock, NC USA
'73 Midget GAN5UD126009G  "OO NINE"
"It is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool
than to speak, and remove all doubt"  -- Mark Twain