Heater valves

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Heater valves
From: Bill & Cindy <fatboy@metro.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 16:33:05 +0000
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
List,

Saw a couple of posts today concerning heater valves.

We recently rebuilt the heater system on our 69 MKIV Sprite, and this is
what we found.

Our base was pretty well corroded as well. I lapped it on a piece of
non-skid stuck to an old truck mirror in the parts washing tank to square
it up a bit, and then mounted it to the head using RTV. When mounting the
valve to the base, I used a combination of one old metal washer and a new
leather one obtained from Moss. This combination afforded the proper outlet
spout orentation for the hose to the heater core. I too used teflon tape on
the threads. So far so good...no leaks yet.

We had to replace the valve assembly with one from Moss. Seems a DPO had
rounded off the square part onf the valve stem, where the handle
attachs...so the handle ( if there had been one) would spin uselessly on
the shaft. Not real impressed with the Moss replacement part though.
Anybody ever been able to find
a replacement stem and handle for the OEM valve?
Bill & Cindy