Re: Repeated Fuel Pump problems

To: Jarrod Harris <mgjarrod@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Repeated Fuel Pump problems
From: Michael Dietsche <mdietsche@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 06:26:42 -0800 (PST)
Cc: MG List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Some of thses pumps require a spacer to make the pump work correctly,
due to different arm lengths from the factory original pump.  I reused
the spacer on my 78 when replacing the pump; it's about 3/8 in thick
and fits between the pump and block.  If you have a Victoria British
catalog you can check it to see if you need the spacer, and they sell
them if yours is missing.

MD

---Jarrod Harris <mgjarrod@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi list, I'm having some problems with a mechanical fuel pump on a
'76
> midget.  About 2 weeks ago, I had a bad fuel pump.  It wasn't
sucking at
> all anymore, so I ordered a new one.  I got the new one and put it
on,
> but I think I messed up when putting it on because after I started
the
> car a few times and then pulled the pump off again, I noticed that
the
> arm of the pump had broken off.  I just figured that I didn't get the
> arm up above the shaft.  I took the arm off the old pump and used it
on
> the new pump.  This time I made sure I got it on right.  My car was
> running great and I had been driving it for the past week until
> yesterday it died on me.  I traced it back down to the fuel pump and
> then pulled it off.  The arm off this pump had broken off too!
What's