Re: Repeated Fuel Pump problems

To: Michael Dietsche <mdietsche@yahoo.com>, Jarrod Harris <mgjarrod@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Repeated Fuel Pump problems
From: "Peter C." <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 09:26:00 -0600
Cc: MG List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
If I may add some info here. These pumps on the 1500s have long been a
problem. We parts guys have handled enough warranties to be gun shy.
Officially the listings are as follows. The pump with the arm that looks
like a hockey stick wherein the arm protrudes from the pump body nearly
perpendicular to the flange face then juts upward to become almost parallel
with the face is intended for Midget 78-79, Spitfire 79-80 AND all 1500
engines "using replacement camshaft # RKC3305". The other pump has a
shorter arm that is close to a 45 deg. angle from the flange face and is
intended for  Midget 75-77 and Spitfire 74-78 with original camshaft
312188. The rule that seems best is to use the same style of pump AND the
spacer (if needed) as you took off, if you are NOT replacing the pump
because the arm was broken.
        Thought I'd throw this out to you all in the belief it will help. If
not,
sorry.
Peter C
---------------
At 08:26 AM 1/29/99 , Michael Dietsche wrote:

>Some of thses pumps require a spacer to make the pump work correctly,
>due to different arm lengths from the factory original pump.  I reused
>the spacer on my 78 when replacing the pump; it's about 3/8 in thick
>and fits between the pump and block.  If you have a Victoria British
>catalog you can check it to see if you need the spacer, and they sell
>them if yours is missing.
>
>MD
>

>---Jarrod Harris <mgjarrod@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi list, I'm having some problems with a mechanical fuel pump on a
>'76
>> midget.  About 2 weeks ago, I had a bad fuel pump.  It wasn't
>sucking at
>> all anymore, so I ordered a new one.  I got the new one and put it
>on,
>> but I think I messed up when putting it on because after I started
>the
>> car a few times and then pulled the pump off again, I noticed that
>the
>> arm of the pump had broken off.  I just figured that I didn't get the
>> arm up above the shaft.  I took the arm off the old pump and used it
>on
>> the new pump.  This time I made sure I got it on right.  My car was
>> running great and I had been driving it for the past week until
>> yesterday it died on me.  I traced it back down to the fuel pump and
>> then pulled it off.  The arm off this pump had broken off too!
>What's
>> going on here?  The first time it broke off, I just figured that I
>> messed up.  But this time, I don't know what's going on.  If you can
>> tell me what's going on in there or how to fix this, please respond.
>> thank you all very much for your help,
>>
>> -Jarrod

Peter Caldwell
1 very rough Innocenti