Re: Steering Column Ground

To: Larry Miller <millerls@ado13.com>
Subject: Re: Steering Column Ground
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 18:58:55 -0800
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Larry Miller wrote:

> I ran into an interesting problem on Saturday. I installed the steering
> wheel and horn button and the horn would not work. I had tested the
> connection between the button push and the wire from the wheel spacer and it
> was fine. I had not tested the ground between the steering column and the
> car. When I put a Ohm meter between the column and the car I got just the
> faintest of readings. Not enough to give the horn a ground though. Same
> reading between the cinch bolt on the column and the car.
>
> I rebuilt the column, new bush at top and bottom, painted the outer tube,
> and painted the center rod itself. I guess I did too good of a job.  For all
> practical purposes, I've isolated the column from the car. Now I have to
> figure out how to get enough contact back so the horn will work.

Larry

You are not alone with this problem.
I corrected mine by running a heavy wire from the motor mount to the
steering rack mount.
The isolation comes from the rubber gaskets on the steering rack, there
is also one on the steering column. Remember that thin rubber gasket
that was a bear to fit  when you put the column back in? You can also
try running a ground wire to the column mount under the dash. (Concours
judges don't look there right George?)

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ